In addition to the cast iron bathtub that we turned into a planter for horsetail ferns, we also found ourselves with a double concrete laundry sink. It spent a year overturned in the yard, creating shelter for black widows and centipedes, but I’ve always had my eye on it for a planter.
This week I decided to tackle it – and decided pretty darn quickly that it needed to be a planter as close as possible to where it was. This thing is HEAVY. As in, maybe a hundred pounds of heavy, or more. As in, way too heavy for me to even turn over by myself, let alone lift. And the large-sized concrete foundation block that had been discarded next to it was pretty darn weighty too.
The solution? Dig a flat spot for the foundation block. Use the foundation block to support the downhill side of the sink, and place both as close as possible to where they were so they could be nudged and levered and pushed into place instead of actually lifted and moved. And together, that’s exactly what we did.
Steve thought maybe it should move right to line up with the porch support for the cabin. I thought maybe it should move left, so the center divide of the sink would line up with the other porch support for the cabin. But after wrestling with this thing for about 45 minutes in the hot sun, we decided it was just perfect the way it was.
Tonight I added some dirt and two leggy hydrangeas rescued from Home Depot and presto – foundation planting!